Tuesday 31 August 2010

Guide Dog Detective

Many moons ago (well, about 3), I worked full-time in a comic shop. I'd previously been working part-time in a video shop after leaving uni whilst trying to sell my magic illustration beans when the opportunity popped up; at the time, this was one of my dream jobs so I jumped at the chance. Working in a comic shop for three years was awesome and influenced my artwork no end. We sold a lot of small press comics and zines, and while I'd always been fascinated by them and even tried my hand at a few poor attempts, it was purely by accident that I decided to draw my own small press comic.
Guide Dog Detective was my attempt at something familiar yet different and I still get people asking me when the next issue will be coming out! Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to put into it any more so it's been on permanent hiatus since issue 2. However, I got a fantastic response from people about it and it really helped to get me into the small press and comic con scene in the UK.

GDD was a crime comic with animals; it happened purely by accident and the first issue was drawn as I went along - it was only sheer luck that it all made sense and fit together! I got it printed and started to sell it in the shop and to my delight, people really liked it. I made enough money back to get more printed and drew and released issue 2 which was also a success (as far as small press comics go).


Issue 3 is written and thumb-nailed but only got as far as pages 1-4 being drawn out. I have a whole 12-issue arc planned and will get back into it at some point. However, it's been so long since I drew, I can imagine it would look totally different. Looking at these pics make me cringe a bit! It was a lot of fun to do though and I think I'll get the urge to pick it up again sometime in the future.



6 comments:

  1. Surely a MUST for Thought Bubble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own both issues. I'm special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also own both. Get back on it Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess,
    I am making a android phone app and would like to use your Guide Dog Detective, Guide dog as part of my icon for the application.

    the application will allow the user to have all the United States Service animal laws on their phone.

    This is what I have come up with http://tinyurl.com/4xqhk3y.

    please let me know if i have your permission.

    I will of course attribute your work in the credits of the application.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails